Monday, October 18, 2010

Media Center Upcycled

When we first moved into our house we bought this media center.  I loved it because it fit out TV and the doors would close in front and hide all the messy  accoutrement's.

Then DH got a fabulous new big screen TV for Father's Day.  ( Yeah, I spoil him... that's just how I roll ...)
The new TV did not fit the entertainment center. DH stole borrowed my entry way table since it was the same collection and fit fine.


That was back in June. We looked and looked for something to match; but you know how hard it is to match whites. So for 3 months, my entry way was empty and a giant entertainment center went into the garage.

I told DH that I thought we should just try and up-cycle the entertainment center ourselves. Worst case scenario is we have to buy a new one, which we were on the look out for anyway. We had talked and talked about it; but neither one of us has ever done anything this big before.
So it sat in our garage.
And sat.

Last week,  I was out grocery shopping but when I came home a surprise was waiting for me.
This is what was in the garage.......






Yes!  DH just took a saw and cut it off.  He just cut it off at the height we wanted. I had planned to take photos but with such a wonderful surprise, who could be mad?  Basically, after he cut it down, he took off the top of the entertainment center- the dark wood part- and made that the new table top.  He used wood glue and then also screwed it on.  He filled the screw holes with wood filler and sanded it down a bit.  Since the entire center has a distressed feel, this looked fine.  It looks better than fine actually.... it looks awesome.

Here is our new media center fit for the flat screen and my entry table is back.




Moral of the story is... just do it.
Get out a saw and try it.  Whats the worst that can happen?


I am joining up to these wonderful blogs... please go visit them, you never know what amazing things you will find.




























Visit thecsiproject.com





8 comments:

Liz said...

Looks great! That's a good idea for all the high quality, solid wood entertainment centers that get thrown out or sold cheap now by people who can't fit their flat screens in them. My mom is hesitant to get a flat screen, mostly because it took her years to find a tolerable entertainment center and she doesn't want to deal with replacing it!

Michelle @ Dream Home DIY said...

Oh it looks so good!! we have something really similar in store for our entertainment center :0)

Condo Blues said...

That looks great! What a wonderful up cycled surprise. Nice price too :)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

WOW!!! It looks outstanding...I will be sure to keep this in mind when it comes time to do mine.

Blessings,
Linda

very merry vintage style said...

It turned out really nice. Good for you!

Black and White {Side by Side} said...

great upcycle! flat screens are such a treat!
thanks for your comment on my scrabble word art :) hope you'll become a follower!

Myya said...

How awesome is that! Your hubby rocks.

Holly said...

Brilliant! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! Your moral of the story tickles me pink!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...